Aging & Volunteer Services Director
For free, confidential help any time of the day.
Area Agency on Aging (AAA)
Who We Are:
Area Agency on Aging promotes the highest level of well being of older adults and their families by partnering with organizations to provide a comprehensive system of opportunities, services, and protective services. The AAA is a leader and catalyst in helping older adults in our four county region lead more independent, vibrant lives. As part of a national network of aging agencies established by the Older Americans Act, we work to strengthen home and community care for older adults.
What We Offer:
- Long Term Care Ombudsman - The Ombudsman Program is an advocate for residents’ rights and is responsible for investigating complaints made by, or on behalf of, nursing and adult care home residents. Ombudsmen work with residents, family members, concerned citizens, facilities, and public or private agencies to enhance the quality of care and life for residents in long term care facilities.
- Senior Community Services Employment Program - SCSEP provides unemployed, 55 and older, low-income adults with training to gain meaningful part-time work experience in community service at a non-profit or governmental organization, as well as unsubsidized employment in the private sector.
- Family Caregiver Support Program & Project C.A.R.E. - The National Family Caregiver Support Program was established to help family and informal caregivers care for their loved ones at home for as long as possible. FSCP helps caregivers by providing information to connect them with the right resources; counseling, support groups, and education; respite (short term relief); and short term or one time only services. Project C.A.R.E. (Caregiver Alternatives to Running on Empty) can assist caregivers of people with dementia by providing a Family Consultant to help resolve caregiving issues.
- Health Promotion and Disease Prevention - Community-based prevention programs save lives and money. They also support older adults in maintaining optimal physical, mental, and emotional health. The Health Promotion and Disease Prevention efforts are focused on partnering to deliver evidence-based health promotion programs; reducing the number of falls and fall related injuries; and self-management of chronic diseases.
- Senior Tar Heel Legislature - The Senior Tar Heel Legislature was created to provide information to senior citizens on the legislative process and matters being considered by the North Carolina General Assembly; promote citizen involvement and advocacy concerning aging issues; and assess the legislative needs of older citizens by convening a forum modeled after the North Carolina General Assembly.
Latest News and Events
The Family Caregiver Support Program provides information, assistance, education, and respite for people caring for a frail older adult. We need to hear from family caregivers in order to provide services that meet their needs. If you are caring for an older person or have cared for one please take a few minutes to complete our Caregiver Needs Survey. For more details on the survey read the full Survey Announcement. (Download and save the survey before completing)
Tell Us About Your Healthy Habits! The Buncombe County Aging Consortium and Health and Human Services work to make sure that seniors in Buncombe County have the support they need to live healthy lives. You can help by taking this short survey. This will take about 5-10 minutes. We do not ask for your name and all answers will be kept private. Survey
The May 2014 Aging and Volunteer Services Newsletter is now available. Click here for the pdf version.
The Family Caregiver Support Program and Ombudsman Program have teamed up together to offer a Virtual Dementia Tour - an experiential kit used to stimulate the symptoms of age-related Alzheimer's and dementia and to help caregivers better identify and cope with their family members behaviors and needs. The Tour is available for long-term care administration, home care providers, community members, etc. Please contact Carol McLimans, Julia Gibson or Terry Collins to schedule a tour.